NOTICE OF INTENDED ADOPTION OF CARBON COUNTY
UNCLAIMED AND INDIGENT BURIAL AND CREMATION POLICY
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Board of County Commissioners of Carbon County, Wyoming, intends to adopt a new Unclaimed and Indigent Burial and Cremation Policy concerning the following topics:
- Adopt a policy and procedure establishing which agency is responsible for burial costs for indigent veterans, indigent persons, and individuals receiving assistance from the Department of Family Services, and to include the authority for such costs (Sec. 1). To establish procedure for an unanticipated death when victim unknown or body unclaimed for burial and how expenses are paid. (Sec. 1).
- To adopt a process for eligibility as indigent. (Sec. 2).
- To provide indigent determination of eligibility; cost limitations to County; responsibility for costs when body has been claimed; process to apply for payment by County; invoice or sworn affidavit required; when payments by commissioners are authorized; reimbursement from estate; and locations for interment of unclaimed remains. (Sec. 3).
- To provide procedure for an unclaimed or unidentified body, disposition and services at discretion of Commissioners and Coroner. (Sec. 4).
- To clarify recipients of certain public benefits may be eligible for burial or cremation at Department of Family Services expense, and Commissioners not to be responsible for additional costs. (Sec. 5).
- To establish procedure and reimbursement to County, payment of costs to funeral home, mortuary or cemetery when unclaimed decedent is claimed.
- Coroner’s policies for disposition, unclaimed or indigent veterans remains, resources for funding funerals and burials, and disposition of property found either attached and/or available from Coroner’s Office.
The policy will be adopted as authorized by the Wyoming Administrative Procedures Act, W.S. §16-3-101-115 [LexisNexis 2022], and under the provisions of W.S. §18-2-101(a)(iv) [LexisNexis 2022]. The new provisions will comply with legislative and/or regulation changes.
The Board of Commissioners of Carbon County, Wyoming, will consider the proposed provisions at the meeting of the Board of County Commissioners, to be held at 2:05 p.m. on the 18th day of April 2023. The location of this meeting is the Elk Mountain Senior Center located 208 Bridge Street, Elk Mountain, Wyoming.
A copy of the proposed Carbon County Unclaimed and Indigent Burial and Cremation Policy is available for inspection at the Carbon County Clerk’s Office, PO Box 6, 215 East Buffalo Street, Rawlins, Wyoming. All interested persons may submit comments or objections, in writing, to the Board of Commissioners of Carbon County, Wyoming, at any time prior to the meeting date set forth in this Notice. Those comments or objections should be sent or delivered to the Carbon County Clerk’s Office, Attention: Gwynn Bartlett, PO Box 6, Rawlins, Wyoming 82301. All interested persons may also appear at the meeting where such provisions are to be considered and may submit any data, views, arguments, comments or objections as they may have, orally or in writing.
The Board of Commissioners of Carbon County, Wyoming, may take action on final adoption of the proposed Carbon County Unclaimed and Indigent Burial and Cremation Policy at any time at or after the time and date of the meeting set forth herein. The proposed policy is consistent with state statutory provisions.
Dated this 13th day of February 2023.
-s- Gwynn Bartlett, Carbon County Clerk